One of the many value-added services that KMK offers is an automated powder coating line for a durable, aesthetic finish to the metal parts that we fabricate. This in-house powder coating line allows us to maintain the high standards of quality not just during fabrication, but for finishing as well.
KMK’s Powder Coating Process
KMK offers an automated powder coating process for our partners, with manual coating available to ensure full coverage of the parts.
- First, the parts are hung on our conveyorized line. As they’re loaded, our team members visually inspect the part batch for imperfections or surface irregularities. We maximize the line density not just for maximum efficiency, but also to ensure that the parts don’t collect water later during washing, and to prevent them from hitting each other as they travel the line.
- Once the parts have been hung and inspected, they are sent into the washer, where hundreds of heated water jets, mixed with high quality chemicals, create a clean, perfect surface on each part. This helps ensure maximum paint adhesion later on.
- After washing, the parts are then sent further along the line into an oven where they are fully dried before being painted.
- Now, the parts are ready to be moved into our climate-controlled paint room. Both the temperature and humidity of the room are carefully controlled for optimal spraying conditions whether automatic or manual. Our experienced painters apply the powder to the parts, ensuring that the film thickness is kept within the manufacturer’s specifications. The painters also keep an eye on the parts for any potential defects that might have been missed when the parts were put on the line.
- Once painting is complete, the parts continue along the line into the cure oven that causes the coating to harden into a uniform, durable surface.
- Finally, the finished parts are unloaded, and most often they are packaged or integrated into assemblies directly off the line. Our packaging and assembly section is right next to the paint line, making for a much more efficient process. Here, our team removes the parts, inspects them, and then hands them off to their final destination within our shop.
The benefits of Powder Coating
One of the reasons that KMK added powder coating to our capabilities is the clean, durable surface finish that it creates. Powder coats are one of the longest lasting types of finishes available, offering resistance to impact, corrosion, fading, scratching, and even UV rays depending on the powder used. Having this service in-house allows us to control the quality of the coating, as well as avoid any damage that could have occurred during shipping between facilities. It allows us to control the process from start to finish, maintaining better quality and shorter lead times.
Powder coating has the added benefit of being a much safer and more environmentally friendly coating as well. The powders are usually made from eco-conscious materials that don’t contain hazardous chemicals or pollutants, and don’t release volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Interested in partnering with KMK?
If you’re looking for quality metal fabrication services, then check out our website today to get started.